Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Mornings at the Lease

Growing up I was spoiled to the Texas Hill Country - Edward's County to be exact. The Fry Ranch, Barksdale, Texas with its rolling hills, running streams, and beautiful cypress trees sparked many of my outdoor adventures. It wasn't and still isn't uncommon to watch the sun rise along the horizon and catch a glimpse of a herd of axis or a handful of whitetail deer feeding and playing.

It saddens me that in my adult life due to work and just life in general, we can't venture out that way as often as I would like. However, my husband has done a good job this time at finding me a lease that was a good substitution. Now, this current lease is close to home. It doesn't have the rolling hills, creeks, or cypress trees. It's more along the lines of mud, oak flats, spiders, poison ivy, mosquitoes, raccoons, stagnant ponds, high brush, thorny vines, and wild hogs. To most, that would sound like a disaster but I have to say it sparks a new curiosity and adventure. 

I cannot complain too much. Every time we come out to the lease we see some form of whitetail from the baby fawns, does, spikes, to the big daddy deer (bucks). I also cannot complain about the  natural canopy the oaks, pine trees, and tala provide from the hot South Texas sun.

I'm excited about my new stand.
Box Stand on the Pipeline

It sits on a pipeline - again another first for me. West Texas doesn't have many pipelines cutting through its limestone, we can thank this clear cut to one of the following ExxonMobile, Enterprise, Shell/Motiva, or ConocoPhillips. Last weekend, we poured out a bag a corn an put a trail camera out to see what would be drawn in to feed. Much to my surprise I had 50 pictures - not too good, but not bad either. The pictures feature a doe with her two fawns and a couple of other does. I would be much obliged to sling an arrow at any of these doe. Nevertheless, the wild hogs found the corn and devoured the rest of my supply. 
I am not mad at them though because they too are a candidate for our freezer. I love pulled pork, bacon, pan sausage, and pork chops. 

We still have a lot of work to do before we are ready for the season. Today is yet another workday in the high humidity, sweltering heat, and bright Texas sunshine. 

Hunting boots...gift from my hubby! He looks out for me.

Did I mention that pants and boots in July are not at the top of my most liked apparel? But, I will wear them anyway to keep all those pesky critters off and away!  
 
Wrote at 8/11/13 at 7:20 am

No comments:

Post a Comment